Empowering students through relationships, resiliency and hope.
A Trauma-Sensitive School includes
- Safe, calm and secure environment with supports for all students and staff
- System-wide understanding of trauma, its prevalence and impact
- System-wide understanding of trauma-sensitive school practices
- Cultural competence and cultural humility
- Promotion of student and family voice, choice and self-advocacy
- Student-centered and trauma specific supports and services
- Healing, hopeful, honest and trusting relationships
Understanding Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
ACEs are serious childhood traumas that result in toxic stress that can harm a child’s brain.
This toxic stress may prevent a child from learning, from playing in a healthy way with other children, and can result in long-term health problems.
Netflix “13 Reasons Why” Concerns
Schools have an important role in preventing youth suicide, and being aware of potential risk factors in students’ lives is vital to this responsibility. The trending Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, based on a young adult novel of the same name, is raising such concerns. The series revolves around 17-year-old Hannah Baker, who takes her own life and leaves behind audio recordings for 13 people who she says in some way were part of why she killed herself. Each tape recounts painful events in which one or more of the 13 individuals played a role.
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE) and the JED Foundation have created talking points for conversations with youth specific to the 13 Reasons Whyseries, available online.
Safe Messaging for Students
- Suicide is never a solution. It is an irreversible choice regarding a temporary problem. There is help. If you are struggling with thoughts of suicide or know someone who is, talk to a trusted adult, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or text “START” to 741741.
We are re-working this page to more accurately reflect opportunities and share what we can provide through our guidance counseling department.
If you are looking for specific information related to high school requirements and opportunities, please visit the newly updated High School page.
600 E. Railroad Ave., Suite #6
Wasilla, AK 99654
Ph: 907.352.7450 • Fax: 907.352.7480
Office Hours: M-Th 8am-4pm, Fri 8am-3:30pm
Apple Distinguished School
Recognized by Apple as a distinguished school for innovation, leadership, and educational excellence.